7.15.2006

The United States of Wobegone.

polls show that "around 60 percent of Americans describe themselves as more patriotic than the average American

Language Log: Born on the 11th of July

Not everybody is above average, but getting there.

The linked material is some kind of technical discussion of a perceived trend toward calling the summer holiday "4th of July," rather than "Independence Day," as a symptom of flagging patriotism (ewww, sorry), as suggested by some. About which, further, I will mention that I've always called it the 4th of July, beginning way, way back in a previous century, even as a kid. so I guess that makes me below average but what the hell, somebody's got to do it, and it isn't the first time.

Or maybe I'm just an early flagger.

Otherwise, it's cool about the "Battle of the Golden Spurs."


technorati tags:

Blogged with Flock

No comments: