6.21.2006

"Ya want me to do business with strangers?"

Daley's political base, the 11th Ward, came up more than 450 times as the sponsoring ward for job candidates.

UNDERNEWS: CHICAGO IS STILL CHICAGO

That's what Richie's old man, Chicago's original Daley, Da Mare himself, would say - did, in fact, say - when confronted with such namby-pamby accusations of patronage and political favoritism. So now we'll see if the kid has got the stuff.

Actually the kid has been doing a pretty good job as far as I can tell, unloading the Skyway on some suckers from overseas somewhere (while the New Yorkers still haven't managed to sell their bridge), venturing into urban farming, and some stuff. And although I haven't seen it myself I hear that new Centennial Park is a beaut. Chicago's still a city that works if you don't look too far into the dark corners so hey, Richie, give 'em hell.

No comments: