2.23.2009

Today's moment of Zen

Late this afternoon, as I was sitting on the beach keeping a sharp eye out for breaking news and reading Magical Thinking, by Augusten Burroughs, I was approached by a woman with a questioning look on her sunburned face.  “Can you tell me anything about the point of rocks?” she asked.  I suppose she was referring to the Point of Rocks, which is presumably some obscure landform here on the west coast of Florida.  But still, what exactly is the point of rocks?



I wish I had been quick enough to answer “Rocks are completely pointless,” or better yet “Well, in sufficient numbers they make mountains.”  But those answers always come to mind after I say something dull like “Sorry, no idea…”  Which is what I said.



She continued down the beach, asking others the same question, and hopefully getting more useful answers.




-Midwest Bureau Chief Phil Compton (who has been sitting, Zen-like, in the sun lo these many days.)



1 comment:

Lynn C Dot said...

I love Augusten Burroughs. I hope you're enjoying "Magical Thinking."

The book list under Read Books: The Cutting Edge of Work Avoidance looks quite good. Although I don't know how "cutting edge" I am as I still get them from the library, and on paper.

I can't wait to get around to some more Avoidance - on paper or otherwise. Alas, I must avoid Avoidance for about eight more weeks.

Are you ever coming home?