9.06.2007

The word processor of my dreams

Whoa. That sounds pretty geeky. But it's true. Apple's latest version ('08) of its word processor, Pages, is it.

I go a long way back with word processors. Starting from a hardware-based free-standing IBM system in the late 70's, I've progressed through WordStar, MultiMate, WordPerfect for DOS, and, of course, ho-hum, Word, flirting along the way with such alluring distractions as PFSWrite, Sprint (a short-lived but capable word processor from Borland), XyWrite (more a cult than a word processor), AppleWorks and Nissus. I've spent a lot of time word processing. And I've been teaching classes in Word for 15 years.

But Pages (did I mention this?) is it. I've spent some quality time with it over the last few days and it does everything I want a word processor to do - and everything I want a desktop publisher to do, as well (oh bliss) - and does it supremely well.

Nice work, Apple. You win.

No comments: