9.06.2007

Oh oh, newbies upset

...gadget enthusiasts who snapped up the ballyhooed iPhone before Wednesday are coping with a bitter aftertaste now that it is $200 (€147.1) cheaper within 10 weeks of its introduction.

(Apple's iPhone price cut angers some users - International Herald Tribune)


Because I'm some kind of computer skills instructor or other people often ask me for advice on what kind of computer to buy and I say it really doesn't matter, there's just one rule to keep in mind. That is, never look over your shoulder when you're leaving the store with that big new box. Because if you do you will see them putting up a sign offering a bigger, faster, much prettier computer for less than you just paid. That's just how it works, is all. Get used to it.

So I'm not really upset by Apple's cutting the iPhone price. Or overjoyed, now that you mention it. When AT&T drops their price by a third, that I'll notice. Anyway I didn't buy an iPhone at the old price and I'm not planning to do it at the new, I don't think. Maybe not. Kind of. More or less. Probably.

No, the real good news from Apple the other day was the new iPod "Touch." It's an iPhone without the phone. OK, without the camera too. But I already have a camera. In fact I have two. And either one of them is better than anything you can get in a phone. And I already have a phone.

Of course I already have an iPod too - a Nano, which is an excellently cool thing, small and light and easy to carry around and spacious enough for what I want it for. But, Bunky, the really nifty thing about the iPod Touch (and iPhone) is the pocket Wi-Fi - being able to jack into the network from any friendly hot spot without having to pay a monthly fee to the T.

Woohoo. Feel the lust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm feeling it. Saw the new iPod Touch on the news and thought it was pretty sexy.... Thinking about picking one up. But that's usually as far as I get....