9.05.2007

Gophers gofer more

This isn't a big story (well, except for the Gophers) - I just wanted to say Gophers gofer, is all. But it's interesting the University of Minnesota has four branches now, and more than 20,000 employees if I've figured out the numbers right. I'm only sorta sure Duluth was the first. I think they opened the Duluth branch so the Canadian hockey players could be closer to home. (I watched the UMD hockey team beat the US Olympic team once, so they were pretty good at skating, at least.)

When I was a teenager living in Duluth the Duluth Branch was just getting started and the best part of that was they used to ship the film of Saturday's U of M football game up to Duluth and show it at one of the high school auditoriums on Wednesday evening. It was grainy black-and-white film but it beat TV when the closest TV station to Duluth was in Minneapolis. And, since we'd all listen to the games on the radio anyway, we'd only go see the movies of the winning games. In the Auditorium of Duluth Central High School the Gophers never lost.

No comments: