9.07.2007

Oh no, no way

State Treasurer Tim Cahill said he and his family were detained and treated "like criminals" after they failed to declare the fruit and officers found it.

"It felt like we were being interrogated and found guilty without any process, no explanation, no rundown of our rights," Cahill said. He said he didn't even know his daughter had the peaches during the nine-hour flight home on Aug. 14.

(State official detained over 3 peaches - Yahoo! News)


I don't know what the statute of limitations is on smuggling avocados in California so I'm not saying one word about anything like that, Bunky, but if - I'm saying if, here - on a purely hypothetical basis a person happened to inadvertently bring an avocado into some part of California that was under a medfly quarantine - from another part that wasn't - and didn't happen to notice the No Avocado Smuggling sign at the airport until he was leaving (this hypothetical person, I'm saying here) and so just kept his mouth shut and his avocado in his suitcase and smuggled it out to an entirely different state, would that be such a bad thing? I think not. I doubt if peaches are much worse.

On the other hand, I don't know where that peach I just ate came from, now that you mention.

No comments: