1.17.2007

One must, I suppose, carry on.

Something seems to have gone terribly wrong. Outside it's cloudlessly sunny. The grass is as green as it normally is in June (although there is ice on the puddle). But my temp widget seems to be stuck on 5º. Clearly, I will need to find a new and more reliable widget. In the meantime I will sit here snuggled in my hoodie and attempt to carry on.

This from a commenter (sans-culotte) on a Rough Type blog post discussing what Nicholas Carr calls pay-per-view journalism (ranking the value of stories by the number of clicks they prompt):
This is how the blogs can force the media to do their job, by simply linking to and encouraging readers to click the links of the best stories of what is most important. When a reporter writes tripe, blogs should call it out, cite it, but never link to it.

And I like that idea. Hey, it's still a new year, isn't it? Resolutions don't last long around here so no need to panic - it's really more an experiment anyway, not a new rule - but I think I'll be a little less religious about always (well, mostly always) linking to every story I mention for a while, see how it feels.

In fact I've tried to stifle my impulse to announce rules for myself on this blog (and done a pretty good job of it too, I might add), figuring if it changes direction it will probably change again before anybody notices anyway, and without my having to describe yet more rules. So this is an exception which I hereby rescind in advance, just in case.

And I am off to try to find myself a warmer widget.

No comments: