1.16.2007

"I'm from Saudi Arabia and I'm here to help you."

Somehow I can't see putting this way up near the top of my good news list: MSNBC is reporting (here via Raw) the Saudis are "mulling" sending troops to Iraq to "protect their interests there." But don't expect them to "solve Iraq's problems," say officials. Yeah, I bet. (Has Trickshot Dick crossed them too? Or just us again?)

Meanwhile Condi is over in the Mideast flailing about, mumbling something about getting the Israelis and Palestinians to go off in a corner and hold hands for a while, just a while, and telling the Egyptians don't worry about the democracy thing, it's "stability" we're after now, and maybe she can find some other guys to talk to too. Years ago I worked in a big corporation where I met some true masters at looking busy while doing nothing at all, but this Rice has them all beat by a mile.

The DOOFUS and Trickshot are winking like craZy at the Israelis while trying to blame the whole Iraq mess on Iran, trying to squeeze another carrier into the Gulf without bumping into any more Japanese freighters on the way (and these are the guys who like to laugh at Jimmy Carter?) and waving some Patriot missiles around, just trying to prove they can do it, I guess, because they sure aren't going to be much use against roadside bombs.

And what Americans are concerned about, the DOOFUS says, is that the Iranians aren't grateful enough. Not that he pays attention to polls (or, for that matter, votes), and not that Congress can do a damn thing about it except pony up more bucks.

Is this a little bit depressing, or what.

Meanwhile, speaking of ungrateful (not to mention depressing) I find myself getting tired of a winter that hasn't even begun yet, here, although we do seem to have some snow in the forecast for Friday.

No comments: