4.29.2006

Damn right, you betcha.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Bush criticises Spanish US anthem: "'Would the French accept people signing [sic] the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of patriotism? Of course not.'"
Somehow we've become involved in a flap about a recording of the Star Spangled Banner sung in Spanish (a rather loose translation from what I can tell although I can't understand a word of it myself and so far the people I've met who are upset about it can't either but as far as I can tell it ranks somewhere between flag burning and the Leatherman Squirt P4 multitool as a homeland threat). This is good. It boosts cable TV ratings and has, apparently, restored the French to a position of favor among the guardians of our national purity.

I assume it's now safe to eat croissants again.

No comments: