2.26.2006

Hey here's something useful.

A database of tricks that will get you past those annoying telephone menus and connect you with an actual human at a whole long list of companies' "help" lines.

gethuman database

And if you have tricks of your own you can add them to the list. So there now. Something constructive to do on a cold winter day.

Yes you heard me. Cold. My widget says 12° at the moment, and the forecast says we won't be back above the freezing mark til Wednesday. Also there is snow on the ground, maybe two or three inches, hard to tell from this angle and I'm not going downstairs to actually stick my foot in it just for you. Take my word.

What happened to the pampering, weather gods?

OK, yeah, it's February. And we are in New England, after all. So it's true, I guess - we lucked out again. And it may be February but it's amost March. It does make a pretty grim contrast with those Carnival pictures, though.

In the meantime I am slowly recovering from a magnificently ugly software experience, 100% self-inflicted (but you can't learn anything until you've crashed a few times), and back to some semblance of technofacility at the moment. (Speaking of learning things I'm playing around with a Firefox extension called "Performancing" in writing this post. It has some nice features but none of them are spell checking, which is probably a deal breaker for me. I use Ecto for blogging on my in-the-shop machine and maybe I'll wind up putting that here too, or maybe I'll just make you suffer for a few days.

(I was about to say I'm suffering too but I'm not, really, except for the software woes which I brought upon myself. My little 12" PowerBook is still my nomination for the most nearly perfect computer ever built. And, now that I think of it, this built-into-Firefox solution is not a bad choice for a small screen like this.)



No comments: