2.26.2006

I didn't get out to take a picture of the snow gauge today because it's covered up with snow.

It's not very much, a couple of inches at most. But we've had snow on the ground for almost a whole day now and it's getting old. Time to move on.

But I have to admit (here's looking at ya, weather gods) it was kind of fun for a while, when it was still coming down. In an annoying sort of way. People were out driving around like they'd never seen the stuff before - and these are New Englanders we're talking about here. Myself, personally, I figure the day I forget how to drive in snow is the day I might as well quit driving all together; it will be time.

I took my first drivers license test in Duluth, in the middle of the winter, so driving on snowy, slippery streets is where I started out. Not only is Duluth under snow most of the year, it's also built on a hill. Which means everywhere you want to go (or have to go, as the case may be) is either downhill or uphill from where you are. Which makes for some interesting driving situations. (And, I soon learned, also makes an exellent excuse for getting in late after a date.)

The few guys (very few guys) who owned cars in high school owned Jeeps with plows installed on the front and paid for them by plowing neighborhood driveways in the morning before school and towing guys up the hill in the evening, on their way home from work. There were times when that was the only way to get home - wait at the bottom of the hill for some kid with 4-wheel drive and a tow chain to come along. And fork over a buck.

It's driving on dry roads that's tricky - then, everybody else drives like a fool. But on snowy days the only fool on the road is usually just me.

No comments: