1.02.2006

John Yoo, that book about the bird, and more about those evil spy cookies

John Carroll, writing in today's San Francisco Chronicle, clarifies the Constitutional notions of that wacky UC Berkeley law guy, John Yoo. it's a brief primer, Carroll says, "designed to help you understand the workings of our new, streamlined American system of government." Reading it will either crack you up (that Yoo, he's a joker) or scare you witless. If you don't want to take the chance, don't.

The book about the bird, it was Jonathan Livingston Seagull, or something. At least I think it was about a bird. I never read it. I seem to have this weird sort of alergy - I can't read a book once it's become too popular. Popular beyond some certain point, I mean. Phenom best-seller popular. That's what saved me from reading the book about the seagull. It's also saved me from reading The DaVinci Code. Now they're making a movie of it, The DaVinci Code, but if it gets big enough fast enough I won't be seeing it either. Same allergy, different medium. Ditto for the fat Greek wedding and everything about Harry Potter. Everything.

I do want to see the new Pixar movie, Cars, when it comes out this year, and the new Pink Panther with Steve Martin, too. And the cowboy movie, Brokeback Mountain (well I've already mentioned that).

I've already mentioned the evil spy cookies too - which you would know if you'd been paying attention here. They've been reported on the White House web site and on NSA's too. The White House ones, at least (on the NSA my lips are sealed, mostly because I have no idea, not that that usually matters around here) come from the evil spy cookie company, WebTrends. WebTrends, not so evilly but not so emphatically either, provides a way to opt out of its evil spy cookie distribution. In order to do that you have to let them give you...a cookie. But this is a good cookie, they say, on the order of chocolate chip. Yum! If you want one you can start by reading this.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: