1.08.2006

At long last a puzzle is solved



Once in a previous century, in New York, I worked in the PR department of a big nationwide corporation, and one of my jobs, briefly, was to write answers to unsolicited letters that arrived addressed to the president of the company. Most of those letters were complaints of some kind but once in a while, just often enough to keep me awake most days, something interesting would turn up.

The most memorable of these was a letter from somebody in one of the Dakotas (they're pretty much the same) that started "I am the Federal government" and went on to say "If you ever need anything, let me know." I figured the guy was some kind of wacko nutjob - period - but my boss figured, maybe a nutjob retiree just trying to let us know where he was so I wrote him a letter back and said thanks, we'd keep his address handy.

Now I find out I was right all along. And I'm gloating.

(I stole the picture from Security Hooligans, right here.)

And take this lesson to heart - if you want to write to a corporation and want to be sure somebody reads your letter, address your letter to the president. Or CEO. (Like the Dakotas, they're pretty much the same.) She (heh heh, little joke there) may never see it but at least some poor mope in the PR department will. Make it a really juicy letter. Brighten up her day.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: