9.12.2007

Software wars

Or woes. Whatever. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Yesterday Word bit my butt in class by crashing six machines at once
- nice trick, that, especially when we were doing some routine thing
we always do and it always works just fine, except that Word had been
recently "updated" - so apparently this crash was a new feature, not
a bug. And the really annoying thing was that we did something very
similar just a few minutes earlier, using the same tool, and it had
worked just fine. And the really, really annoying thing is that
tomorrow's class calls for doing something similar again, so I have
to go in early tomorrow and try to sort things out.

But the good new is, I decided I don't need that blogging software I
was playing around with after all. The way I was doing it - with
Firefox - is fine, but there's an even cooler way - by email - that I
can automate somewhat using AppleScript and some other tricks that
looks like it might beat both. Which is good. I'm not a big fan of
collecting lots of special-purpose applications when it usually turns
out if I just pay attention to what I've already got I can do what I
want to do just fine. (In fact I just gave myself another idea. No,
two.)

No comments: