8.07.2007

Man at the Wheel


Man at the Wheel, originally uploaded by tedcompton.

Buying the postcard would have been easier. Cheaper, too.

I drove to Gloucester Sunday thinking it would be an easy day trip and it wasn't. It's only a little farther than New Bedford but the route goes near Boston and I hit some serious weekend traffic going east and worried about getting more of the same coming home (didn't), and then Gloucester itself was full of weekend tourists and weekend tourists' cars.

Speaking of which - cars - I'm still not so countrified I can't deal with city traffic but I hadn't seen it for a long time, not like it was yesterday, six and sometimes eight lanes of it and heavy at that, many of the cars with only one occupant (like mine) and most with no more than two, sucking gas. It's hard to avoid the conclusion we've really screwed up on mass transit. It would have been a lot easier, cheaper, probably faster and certainly less destructive to just all share a ride. Surely Gloucester would have been less clogged.

The place is bigger (I'd forgotten this) than New Bedford and more complex too. It's a two-day trip. Maybe I'll go back after Labor Day and spend a night.

No comments: