2.12.2007

Oh oh. And you thought the DOOFUS was a little addled.

Turns out...
After investigating further, Dr. Kempf found Lincoln's own account of having been kicked in the forehead by a horse at age 10 years and "thought dead for awhile."
Yeah.

Meanwhile, an outstandingly nifty daguerreotype portrait of the young Abe comes to light, passed on by Hullabaloo via Pandagon.

There is a legend in my family that one of my mother's ancestors became owner of the Kentucky farm on which Lincoln was born and tore down the old log cabin - yes, the log cabin - for firewood (a replica was later built). I'm not 100 percent sure that's true, but there are some old newspaper clippings in the family scrapbook dating from a time in the early 20th Century when the story briefly surfaced. One of these days I'll have to dig them out and see if I can find out more. Or maybe not.

No comments: