1.09.2007

Why can't they do things at the right time like we do? Is it so hard?

I mean, look. I get home from work about noon wanting to catch all the hot news from the Macworld show today - I'm more interested in the software than the hardware this year but the hardware is always fun to gape at, isn't it? - and of course there's no news yet because they're having the stupid show in San Francisco. And San Francisco is on the west coast. And on the west coast they do everything three hours late.

Come on. I can understand this kind of thing from some place like London. or Prague. You know, foreign. But California? What's with them? Do they have to be so weird?

Let's move it along out there.

Update: Yeah, well (see the comments here), I've tried the Circus Ponies and they're OK but there's another note-organizing product I like better, and I don't really have all that much interest in either (or in the "mind-organizing software," fat chance there). I'm not an organizing kind of guy. And what with Stickies and Google Notebook and a new note-taking addition to Mail, promised for Leopard, the ponies are pretty much a non-starter here.

The new iPhone looks cool and will likely, I'm guessing, achieve iPod-like success, and the "Apple TV" box would be nifty too if I cared to buy myself a big TV, which I don't. I was hoping for more in the software line, myself - I'm expecting some software to turn up in the not too distant future, unannounced. I have a couple of things that sorely need updating. And I'm guessing we won't have to wait until next January to see Leopard (the next major upgrade to OS X).

I went to the east-coast version of Macworld a few times when it was held in Boston. It's great fun - lots of glitzy gizmos and excited people. Reality recedes. So you have to wait a day or two for the world to come back into focus, and then look again.

1 comment:

...e... said...

here's an on-site report:

Here's my product picks for amazing coolness! Stuff I want! I'll add the links later. Best first.

- Circus Ponies Notebook. This is the thing I will very likely buy here, probably tomorrow after I download it and try it. For one, OMG Ponies!!!!111!!! For two, I need something beyond mindmap software, and a step before ecto, for taking notes as I websurf, think, and grab stuff for blogging and that sort of thing. Notebook looks extremely nifty! For fuck's sake, though, where are the cool stickers? They are missing the cool sticker potential.

- Handle for macbook that screws into the case screws! 50 bucks, 20% off.

- The incredible planetary flythrough/ astronomy planet flight simulator thingie. I ahve to go back to it and get their name and flyer and url. 100 bucks. planetarium. You can script your flythroughs on other planets and save them as quicktime movies and stick them on your blog! yeah! It only needs an open source api so that we can build games on it and make things explode!

- Radtech backpack with solar panel array, charge up battery beltpack for phone, ipod, etc. Within 6-8 months there will be a 3x more expensive backpack with solar chargeable laptop battery!

- Voyager 4 astronomical software. Fly around the solar system while everything is orbiting. Neat! Not quite as neat as the other astronomy thing that was 100 bucks and ... I lost their brochure.

- Techshell laptop case things with amazing stuff, designs, patterns, laser-etched dragons, etc! THey had a peacock diamond one.

- Gelaskins doohickeys for ipods, neat looking, comix on your ipod skin

- All the mind map software. Novamind, Mindmanager 6, Omnigraffle. I want them all!

- Mariner software products looked good!

- Lightscribe cd/dvd etching thing. Wowie... and it is only 99 bucks.

- Pen-it note taker drawing thing. So, no tablet necessary, you just draw on paper with a working pen and it has a usb thingie. [yeh right, meanwhile i've had one of these for two years....e][

- I was excited about Readiris but it didn't turn out to be quite what I would wish. only 1 step up from a cuecat as far as my purposes go. Not useful for scanning a book in a library

-

- iCliplite looked neat.

- intelliscanner. WTF gadget thing for obsessive compulsive people, who scan in their groceries. seriously, cans of food...!? along with your comic books and wine collection. People make fun of me for being obsessed with LibraryThing, but, CANNED FOOD? haha!

- the portable scanner thing, not too expensive, has a bag for easy transport, sucks in something like 20 pages a minute and pdf-s them. Yowza.

- Neato laptop bags and cases. Sumo, Crumpler, bbp,
- Optix - a document management thing that looked worth checking out