8.02.2006

A pedestrian lament.

Yes there's a rant coming, Bunky, I'm afraid.

Where the fighting (at least let's refrain from calling it "tension," shall we?) in the Middle East is concerned, the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah, I'm not interested in arguing over who hit who first, who stole who's lunch money, or who Mommy likes best. I'm just saying here, is all.

But I'm a pedestrian at heart. I've spent a whole lot of years, over the years, walking. I've seen my share of careless drivers, inconsiderate drivers, and just plain bad drivers, and no way am I going to step into traffic until I'm sure the traffic is gonna stop. Because the one thing I don't want to have inscribed on my tombstone is, "But I Had the Right of Way."

"I Was Not a Target" doesn't seem one jot better to me. The "explanation" that civilians on either side of the conflict were "not targeted," and the implication that they are somehow, as a result, less dead, cuts no ice. (Sorry. "Ice" just sounded soooooo good.) And the same thing goes for the Lebanese Army officer who was "not a target" while the car he was driving, apparently, was.

It cuts no ice. In other words, as the DOOFUS would say, it sucks.

And if, as the "spokesmen" and assorted blabbering apologists seem to suggest, the only way to defeat terrorists is to become terrorists ourselves, we're in for a long, long, sorry time.

To be honest, there are days when I'm glad I'm old.

Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

...e... said...

sucks ice, actually.