8.01.2006

Macs don't sweat.

Well hey, I don't believe in wind chill, why should I believe in "heat index" either, whatever heat index may be. Cold is cold and hot is hot, the way I figure, and there's an end to it.

And so what. Macs don't sweat. Meanwhile, all the web widgets have been saying it's around 95 degrees here, but my thermodevices (three now! who knew my cooking thermometer registered this low?) all agree it's somewhere in the high 80s indoors. And the sun is well onto the other side of the house by now - it'll be 186 tonight when I'm trying to sleep but it appears my chips will live to cycle another day. Which would be tomorrow, I suppose, forecast to be warmer.

Still, I have a few degrees to spare.

(One expects, so far, power failure may be a bigger hazard than heat. But power failure is more a problem - so far, did I say so far? - in the winter than in the summer in this corner of New England, where we are still operating on overhead wiring the Pilgrims installed.)

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

...e... said...

yah, gurgle is saying 98 tomorrow for ya

Ted Compton said...

It was interesting, following things as closely as I did yesterday. Turned out the high reading of the day was not until late afternoon, 6:00, and when I got back after dinner and a movie, about 10:00, it had only dropped by one. The iMac begins grumbling enthusiastically at that point but the PowerBook, which has a slower chip and, additionally, a low power setting, runs happily on. By 7:00 this morning the temp had dropped only to 84 indoors, so there's not much overnight cooling to begin with. And there's more early sun as well. So I do imagine we're in for a warm day.