8.28.2007

Wooho, check it out

I'm logged in from my laptop, an early-vintage aluminum PowerBook G4 that was seriously hot stuff in its day. No more. Its day was ten minutes ago and now it's slooooow. I should use it more often than I do - it's bad for the battery to just let it sit - which means I need to lug it around more because just sitting here, with my big, beautiful iMac close by, using the 'book just doesn't cut it any more.

Sure, for just checking email (you can do that with a tin can and a long string) and surfing the web and writing a little (I still can't type at .9 GHz) it's fine. But no way could I grind through all the photos and other stuff I do here. And even if I could, where would I put it? The 'book has a 40-gig drive.

How amazing is that? My first computer had no disk drives at all, and my first PC (of the kind called "clone" in those days) came off the shelf with two floppy drives. Eventually I installed a hard drive in it - 20 megabytes - and figured that was all the storage I'd ever need. Now 40 gigs seems cramped.

Guess I was wrong. Go figure.

No comments: