8.29.2007

More adventures with the Borg

Inspired by the total awesomeness of my newly-noticed AT&T phone screen (below) I decided to purchase a similarly grand ringtone, not something I have a lot of experience in doing. I managed to negotiate their magnificently muddled ringtone page and discovered one I liked (it's a female "robot" voice saying "alert, alert..." etc.), clicked all the applicable buttons, and was rewarded with a text message saying my download had failed and I should call customer support and give them the attached error code. I did.

Which is how, after luckily guessing all the right numbers, first try, on their equally muddled menu test, I discovered they can change the settings on my phone from their end without my having to do anything at all. In fact, the nice lady helpfully explained, they can change even more settings if I am not using the phone at the time (which I then was). I was instructed to reboot.

It turned out in the end that my problem was due to an insufficient number of bars, three being required for reliable downloading of ringtones, it seems. As I was going downtown anyway - there are bars a-plenty there - I eventually got the thing loaded, only to discover the ringtone that now exists on my phone is not the same as the one they demo on the web site. It's an abbreviated version, and it's missing my favorite part: "Pick up the communications device. Do not be afraid."

Oh well. A person is allowed to do something stupid once every few years or so. I'm pretty well dumbed out for the rest of the decade, myself.

No comments: