1.03.2007

Taking out the bananas.

I mentioned nearly a month ago buying a few "no gas" bananas only to discover they require a gas - ethylene - to "ripen properly." Bananas can be, apparently, "home ripened" by sealing them in a plastic bag with apples, which emit ethylene naturally.

Well I didn't, and mine did anyway, eventually (possibly because I keep them in the same basket I keep "regular" bananas in?). They haven't become grocery-store yellow but they've changed from green to a sort of dull, brownish yellow and they feel about the right consistency, so I ate one this morning. And it was delicious. Noticeably better than the bananas I usually buy.

Surely this is not a very scientific test - not scientific at all, in fact - and a whole lot of other factors may be involved. but the results are encouraging enough I might try the apples-in-the-bag trick one day.

Meanwhile I have work to do today so I'm off to get it done.

No comments: