1.02.2007

The "decency" of Gerry Ford.

When asked during his vice-presidential confirmation hearings about whether he would grant Nixon a pardon should he need one, Ford replied: "I don't think the public would stand for it."

[In a press conference after the pardon, Ford claimed that he hadn’t promised “I said in answer to that hypothetical question, I did not say I wouldn't. I simply said that under the way the question was phrased, the American people would object.” At the same press conference he seemed to forget the nine words when he said “I must say that the decision has created more antagonism than I anticipated.”]

(Balkinization - with thanks to Skippy)

And now that Gerry Ford's name has come up, isn't it amusing how the Rs are all huggy woowoo about "forgiveness"?

Yeah, and somehow I think we're in for more of that.

No comments: