8.18.2006

It's uglier, but it looks more like me.

That's actually sort of depressing when I think about it. But it's true. So I won't think about it, is all.

I went to the DMV this morning to get a replacement drivers license. My old one, which was still good for another 18 months or so, had a picture on it so old it no longer looked at all like me. Since it was taken, in addition to aging maybe eight years, I had cut off all my hair, grown a beard, and changed glasses. In the movies that would be called a disguise. When it was necessary to show my license to someone - say, to cash checks - people would look at it and say “whoa, that doesn't look at all like you.” And then go ahead and cash the check - but still, that didn't seem like a really ideal thing for people to be saying when you were showing them a photo ID. I was thinking, what if one of these days I fall into the clutches of an overzealous red state cop. I figured maybe it was worth the 20 bucks to get it fixed.

Right now I have a temp ID; the real one will arrive in the mail next week. The temp photo is black-and-white; the real one will be color. Maybe the color will help. I mean, a guy can hope. It really is an ugly picture.

And it really does look more like me.

Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you post the picture when you get it? How bad can it be?

Ted Compton said...

Ha! Bad! I'll see how it looks in color.

I don't want to break Blogger, or anything like that.

...e... said...

you should post the old one. i just had a series of identity badges taken and was progressively horrified at each one. then i had to find my passport, taken in 1997, and its picture, which equally horrified me in 1997, was to die for now. what i wouldn't give. what a difference a decade makes...it even makes you like your old identities.

Ted Compton said...

I don't have the old one. I had to turn that license in.

Really, I don't take pictures of myself very seriously because never like them. The way they do license pictures these days, all digital, it only takes about 10 seconds before you see the picture on a monitor and they will happily retake it if you don't like it, but then I could have sat there all day and not get one I liked.

Anyway the new one may be ugly but it is a little scary, so it's not all bad.