1.28.2006

It's the 6 that puzzles me

OK so I'm looking at data from the 2000 US Census (this chart, to be specific) and they have the total population reported at 281,421,906. 6? How can they be sure it's not, say, 4? Or 7?

Well the answer is they can't - in a population of 281 million the odds are pretty good somebody - at least one person - between the time the data was phoned in and the time it got typed on the page, died. Or got born. So the number was off before it was even on - and I'm not all that sure about the 900 part, either. Gimme a break. Why don't they just say 281 million and change, and get it over with? (If the vote count in Ohio goes over, say, 300 million we'll know somethings fishy without the 6 there, won't we? Don't you think?)

And another thing, while I'm at it here. If the median age of the population is only 35 how come Social Security is in so much trouble? Doesn't sound so almighty old to me. We can always bring back child labor, can't we?

This is why I stay away from numbers if I possibly can.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: