1.17.2006

Call rewrite!

Movies from Universal Pictures won't show up on Blu-Ray, which means you won't be able to watch Van Helsing and Hitch in high-definition on the same machine unless you're willing to spring for two.
Huh? Well, you figure it out. It's from a story in the Boston Globe this morning about how the media giants (not, dear reader, including YAME, which remains magnificently aloof) are warring over the specs for next-generation (next generation for your entertainment! not to mention for your convenience! and did we say they'll be more expensive?) DVDs. Oh, and did we also say about DRM?

If I were interested in making a decision here - which I'm emphatically not, for the nonce - Sony would be a non-starter right out of the box on this one due to its demonstrated disregard for customers, putting a nasty rootkit on its music CDs without so much as a by-your-leave. True, some might argue "better the devil you know" but as far as I'm concerned the devil's gonna have to come get me cause I'm not goin nowhere on this one for a good long time. I'm an entertainment-intensive guy but (we were talking about gluts a while back) I haven't used up all the entertainment I've already got. Nor, likely, will I soon.

In the meantime, how I'm needing two machines to play two DVDs on the same machine is something I'm still working on. Don't tell me. I am easily amused.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: