7.22.2009

Why I am always so confused here

I go to the store to buy a needle so I can sew a button on my pants. I have no idea where in the store to look for needles but because I am in a hurry, which I'm usually not, I ask, which I usually don't, a girl in a Walgreen's shirt. She looks at me like I am speaking in tongues.

Eventually, however, after some considerable pantomime, I convey my meaning and she leads me down a certain aisle and points to a package hanging from a little hook on the wall and in the package are 25 needles. Twenty freaking five! I ask myself, why would anybody ever need 25 needles unless they are running some kind of sweatshop and then I notice right next to that package is another one with 45. Needles. Really. Both packages have the same brand name on them, and the one with 45 costs less.

OK, something pretty weird is going on here, right?

But I notice that one needle all the way over on the end of the card with 45 has an enormously huge hole on one end of it, the end where you put the thread, and that's the needle I've been looking for, right there.

So I buy that one and the other 44 I don't need, and come home and sew the button on my pants and on a shirt as well. Not the same button. One on the pants, another one on the shirt. The one on the shirt is the wrong color but nobody will notice. Anyway, it's only a little wrong.

But why can't you just get one needle when one is all you need? And more to the point (ouch), who could possibly need 45?


No comments: