7.22.2009

And another thing

See, this is just plain weird.

I order two gizmos from Apple. Power supplies, to be specific. I like to have spare power adapters for absolutely critical stuff. (My phone and my computer. To be specific.) I keep the spares in the messenger bag I grab when I go somewhere so they go with.

One of these gizmos comes from China, the other from somewhere in Pennsylvania. Both ship the same day, the 20th, according to the tracking pages. The one from China gets plopped on my front porch this morning, before noon, by Federal Express. The one from Pennsylvania gets picked up - in Pennsylvania - by somebody called "DHL Global Mail" and gets trucked (I guess that's the global part) to New Jersey, where it gets put in the mail (mail). Rutherford, New Jersey. To be specific. Its tracking page says it will be delivered on the 28th.

So how come it takes two days to get here (Massachusetts) from China, and eight from Pennsylvania? If you tell me there is some kind of strange otherworld timewarp in New Jersey I will believe you but why don't they just drive around it, is what I want to know.

No comments: