7.02.2009

Wherein I am even more confused than usual

Rohack, who recently became AMA president, suggested Wednesday that the Federal Employee Health Benefit Program available to Congress members and other federal employees could be expanded as a public option. That would avoid having to create a new program from scratch, he said.

"If it's good enough for Congress, why shouldn't it be good enough for individuals who don't have health insurance provided by their employers?" Rohack said.

link: AMA open to government-funded health insurance option - CNN.com

Whatever the merits of the federal employee plan may be (I have no idea) I'm just wondering, are there any employers around these days who actually provide health insurance? As in, provide? Or do they just provide the opportunity to buy health insurance, sometimes at a significant discount? Seems to me the latter, and seems to me that's not "providing" at all.


No comments: