3.03.2009

Well, at least that's something


REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – Dust off the slide rules and recharge the calculators. Square Root Day is upon us.



The math-buffs' holiday, which only occurs nine times each century, falls on Tuesday — 3/3/09 (for the mathematically challenged, three is the square root of nine).

[From 3/3/09: Math fans to celebrate Square Root Day]

So that makes it a pretty mathematical month, with pi day at the end of next week (3.14).


Otherwise it's off to a pretty shaky start. The month, I mean. First, yesterday, the raging storm, which wasn't all that raging, truth be told, but I won't mention that because I don't want to spoil the fun for all those folks in Alabama and North Carolina, places like that.


And then, today, I get to work and all the computers are down, 13 in the lab and another dozen, used for job searching, outside. Some kind of weirdness on the server that a reboot wouldn't fix. So home again, and double up on Friday. Which should be warmer, too, by the way. Friday. Which is good.



3 comments:

Lynn C Dot said...

Where's the Microsoft jibe?

Anonymous said...

Actually, the big daddy of pi days happens in 2015, as you can plainly see...

Ted Compton said...

I hate to leave them out, but I don't know if it's Microsoft's fault this time. It was a Microsoft server I rebooted, but there are two other servers involved and I don't know what's on those. Or, it could be VMware (the virtualization software) that's munged. Or maybe one of the chipmunks is on strike. Who knows?

But phooey on Microsoft anyway, just in case.