11.21.2008

On age and awe

Sometimes I wonder how it would feel to be so young as to take today's technology for granted. I've been playing around with the newest iPhone software upgrade this morning and rediscovering Google Maps. Turns out Google Maps now provides directions, in cities at least, in one's choice of driving, walking, or public transit varieties, complete with traffic conditions for drivers and notes on bus or train changes for riders. Sure, you can find all that from your computer - and that's pretty impressive - but combined with the GPS function in the iPhone it's downright mind-blowing. Dude, I may have to move to Boston just so I can play with my phone.


I'm so old I remember being able to pick up free maps at any gas station. That's the technology I took for granted. Surely there are people of a certain age, now, who take Google Maps for granted. What must that be like? If I weren't so sure they've got a lot more cool things to look forward to I'd feel sorry for them. I am, so I don't, but I would.


Meanwhile, I am happy as a clam (I'm not so old I actually remember happy clams) just fooling around with this stuff.



No comments: