11.22.2008

Damnation

Saw La damnation de Faust (Berlioz) this afternoon in an HD telecast to a local theater from a live performance at the Met. I don't remember if I mentioned it before but the Met is telecasting its entire season that way (the info is here).


The camera work made this production seem more like watching a movie than a staged event, and subtitles translated the sense of the lyrics, both of which features I found a little disorienting for the first five or ten minutes - but once I'd made the adjustment between what I'd expected and what I was seeing the performance was thoroughly enjoyable and the big-theater sound magnificent. I'm hoping to catch another production, possibly Puccini's La Rondine in January, before the season ends.


If you're interested in seeing some first class opera and the Met has a broadcast season in your area, give this program serious consideration. The broadcast format works and the experience is worth every penny.



4 comments:

Ted Compton said...

Who wrote it? Moi.

Lynn C Dot said...

I didn't even know you liked opera!

Ted Compton said...

I do like opera. I got hooked by opera in Vienna, which is about the best place I can think of to get hooked by opera. Saw some in London, went to the Met a few times in NY (before it moved to Lincoln Center, and had season tickets to the Lyric in Chicago several years. I don't know that much about it but I like to watch. This show yesterday was the first I've seen since I came east but I'm thinking about catching another, maybe two, this winter. I'm not familiar with any on the list so it'll be something new.

Lynn C Dot said...

I'm going to look into the broadcasts. I've been going to the Seattle Opera for the last seven years - two or three per year. The broadcasts seem interesting so I think I'll check that out - it's got to be less expensive, and easier to park.