7.31.2008

3-keyboard stash

Had a keyboard in Northampton I thought was broken - calculator pad didn't work - and another that was acting weird in Word (would that be a good movie title: "Weird in Word"?) so I saw the IT guy at the end of last week and he gave me three new keyboards to haul down there, swap out the two bad and leave one for a spare. The one, the weird one, I thought might be a software problem so I decided to put that off until I had more time than today. But I did swap the other and, hey, calculator still didn't work. Turned out to be some obscure setting re: mouse keys. So the keyboard I took off is still a good one, which means I still have three.


Keyboards are always giving me problems. I must have poison fingers because I always wear the letters off the caps, sometimes in a surprisingly short time. And keys stick or don't type at all - when you get right down to it, keyboards bite.


Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be without one. Voice recognition? Being surrounded by people talking to their computers seems like a nightmare to me. And touch screens? On a laptop maybe, a tablet sure, but on a desktop no. How awkward would that be? Anyway, haven't we been there before? We have.


Oh no. I love my keyboard (and hate it too). Learning to type with my thumbs is as far as the envelope gets pushed by me.


So having this massive - well, 3-keyboard - stash is very cool. And comforting. I think I'll just keep it and not tell anybody it's there.


Forget I mentioned it.



No comments: