1.22.2008

The Netflix syndrome

We're all movied up with Netflix around here and as a result we rarely see a real movie, the kind where they show the film on a great big screen, and as a result the Academy Awards nominations announced today are for films I've only heard of, if that. The only films anywhere on the list I've seen are "Ratatouille," nominated for Best Animated Feature and Best Screenplay, and "La Vie en Rose," which earned Marion Cotillard a Best Actress nomination. They're both films well worth watching and "Ratatouille" is a sentimental favorite. Several of the other films are already on the list. Surely some of the others will wind up there before long.

The Academy's voters, of course, are a notoriously fickle lot - brilliant when they give awards to performances I liked, sell-outs when they reward performances I didn't. I guess it will take a while yet before I figure out which they are this year.

No comments: