1.15.2008

For all you geeksters...


...that's Apple's Safari web browser running in OS X floating above an Ubutu 64-bit Linux desktop running Firefox. Ututu is running full-screen on an iMac.

I've looked at three Linux distros over the past few days, running them in virtual machines - Susse, Debian, and Ubutu - and Ubutu's the one I'll keep (and run it in VMware Fusion), but all three are impressively polished, far more pleasant to work with than Linux was the last time I seriously ran it six or eight years ago. All three are ready to run with Windows and, because they share technical similarities with OS X, with Macs too - at the OS level, at least. (OK, I'm in a generous mood.) So that's good to know.

Now the question is, is it worth the aggravation and - more - the money to run Windows on my Mac. It would be an easy call if I had work-related Windows software to consider but the version of Office we run in the lab is so ancient it wouldn't be worth installing and probably can't be purchased anywhere anyway. On the other hand it would be interesting to see what Vista is all about. I don't have any real interest in running Office for personal work and if I did I'd buy the Mac version and be done with it.

Meanwhile, I'm not watching the debate and if I had a TV, which I don't, I'd quit watching MSNBC forever too, which I probably wouldn't anyway. The way I see it, if MSNBC wants to exclude Kucinich from their little show that's their business but if the public decides there are better uses for the bandwidth than to let MSNBC use it that's the public's business, and if I were the public I'd take the bandwith back from MSNBC and lease it to somebody else. Alas, of course, I'm not. More's the pity.

(PS: OK, Ubuntu. Ubuntu. So sue me. Or, no, wait....)

No comments: