1.15.2008

Clarification

I was in working Orange, MA today (it's not orange, it's pretty much white right now) and saw two bald eagles in flight, just circling around in a clear winter sky. They're pretty cool looking birds when seen that way. They were about 12 miles away from a known eagle nest near here. I don't know if they were the birds from that nest or not, of course, but I suppose it's possible.

Big iPhone update today and now I know where I am, sorta. The phone performs a pseudo-GPS by triangulating from nearby cell phone towers and Wi-Fi nodes. There aren't many towers where I live and the circle it draws by phone towers alone is maybe five miles wide - although, sure enough, I was in it (the position is placed on a Google map). When I turn the phone's Wi-Fi on the circle shrinks to maybe a mile across, maybe a little more. I'm sitting almost right on top of a Wi-Fi base station but if I don't know where I am, how an it?

It's been sort of a lost week so far - busily lost, because I'm working every day this week but lost, nonetheless, because I'm deep into geekery at the moment. That ought to be worked out soon though.

And that new skinny laptop looks awesome, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.