10.28.2007

Just the way water is, I guess

Fate of Great lakes' water looks fluid

It'd be really bad for swimming in, any other way. Of course if it were solid, say, you wouldn't need all those pesky plastic bottles - you could just stuff a few lumps of it in your pocket and chew on one whenever you got into a hydrational mood. Sure, you can do that now in the winter but who wants ice in their pants?

Anyway, turns out - sez the Times - some people in the Southeast and other parched places want to pipe in water from the Great Lakes to spray on their lawns or fill their pools. There's a lot of water there. They don't call the Great Lakes for nothing. But they might not be great for long if somebody starts pumping them into New Mexico. Next thing you know, Lake Michigan could be Gone.

Now, I'm a Great Lakes kinda guy, myself, and I say leave the Lakes alone. Hands off. But, speaking of hands, on the other one, I know they're pretty hard up for water down there. So here's the deal. I'd be happy to have them take some of our Massachusetts water as long as they take some of our nasty weather too and send us hot sun.

No comments: