11.19.2006

What I can't do is figure out whether to laugh or cry.

In the book, he cites extensive data analysis to demonstrate that values advocated by conservatives -- from church attendance and two-parent families to the Protestant work ethic and a distaste for government-funded social services -- make conservatives more generous than liberals.
--From a guy named Matt Margolis at a place called "Blogs for Bush," which styles itself as "The White House of the Blogosphere."

To be fair, it's not only the Protestant work ethic and "distaste for government-funded social services" that makes conservatives so laudably generous, it's also some stat the author has come up with (it's not Margolis's book all this stuff comes from, it's something by some other guy) - some stat, I say, that supports a claim conservatives give more to private charities than "liberals" do. Or un-conservatives. Whatever. Which is about as helpful as saying Bill Gates gives more to charity than I do. Not very, in other words. Especially when I don't know who figures out who "conservatives" and "liberals" are. (And anyway I give a greater percentage of my income to charity than Bill Gates does, you can make book on that, and that's something.)

Nonetheless. I just dropped by "Blogs for Bush" because I noticed it on somebody else's blogroll and thought I'd peek in to see how things are going with those guys about now. Answer: it's all Nancy Pelosi's fault, the bitch.

No comments: