11.14.2006

I get yelled at by an ATM machine.

So I leave a little early for work this morning thinking I'll swing by the bank and pick up some cash, drive to Northampton and pick up something for breakfast there. But when I swing into the ATM lane behind the bank there's no ATM there. WTF. It's a teller's window, and it's closed. I sit there for a while just staring at it because, hey, it's early in the morning. Maybe the window will go away and the ATM machine come back, but it doesn't so I drive on out, figuring to loop around into the bank parking lot and walk to the front of the building where there's another machine. And I'm all the way to the end of the block before I remember that the turn to re-enter the parking lot is on a one-way street.

I think about driving the other way but decide against it, park at the curb, and walk. How primitive is this, walking to an ATM machine? It's like, you know, ten minutes ago, right? And on the way I walk by the drive-thru lanes to discover what they've done is switch them, so the teller's window is where the ATM used to be and the ATM is where the window was. Which makes me pretty grumpy, right there.

But eventually I get to the front of the building, card my way into the little booth, and stuff my plastic into the ATM. And that's when I get yelled at. "It'll just be a minute," some woman's voice says. And there is a great flurry of clunking and banging behind the machine. Well. It was more than a minute, I'm telling you. But eventually the machine comes back to life and spits out some money, and I trudge back to the car. I get to Northampton too late for breakfast but I pull into a BK and order a cup of coffee to go. They're out.

"It'll just be a minute," they say.

No comments: