9.20.2006

Let's not encourage the comma, Nazis.

Punctuation author collects examples on Web site - Yahoo! News:
A misplaced comma in the list of ingredients gives diners a
totally different dish -- and gives British writer Lynne Truss
new ammunition in her campaign for the proper use of
punctuation
Yeah, sure, commas. You've gotta have 'em. But, please. Notice there are two versions of Truss's bestseller, "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" - one for them, one for us.

Speaking of which - "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," that is - the ampersand makes things dicey but I once got into a knock-down, drag-out over whether one uses a comma before the "and" in a series - should it be "red, white and blue" or "red, white, and blue"? Determined to get to the bottom of the matter I consulted seven style books, including Strunk & White, the University of Chicago style manual, The AP's style book, my old college textbook, and a couple of others, I've forgotten what they were. Three books said use the comma, three said don't, and the seventh, the college textbook, said whatever turns you on.

I liked the AP style book myself but it said no. I was in the pro-comma camp myself, so I changed the style book. I later mentioned that to a friend of mine who was an editor for the Chicago Tribune and he said yeah, the Trib had a guy who sat there all day putting commas back into AP stories because the Trib's style book said use them.

I'm pretty ambivalent about commas myself, these days. In a previous life I wrote speeches and used commas liberally - even sometimes where they didn't belong - to indicate phrasing for the speaker. I've been trying to taper off. As a result I'm more or less back in the whatever-turns-you-on school. Except when it comes to "red, white, and blue," in which case I'm definitely a comma, guy.

No comments: