6.30.2006

Supposing? Oh I don't think we need supposing here.

Last week, in the US, I saw an advert for a handheld gizmo using the slogan "It's not a cellphone: it's MySpace on the go." It's a terrifying first - a new gadget I know I'll never want to buy. I've never felt so lost.

Guardian Unlimited | Charlie Brooker: Supposing ... I'm too old for MySpace

(Although I do empathize about the gadget shock.)

I think I read somewhere recently 30% of US Internet users belong to MySpace. Which made me wonder, what percent of US Internet users are under 12. Just wondering, is all. I've never seen MySpace and I probably never will. It doesn't sound that interesting to me and anyway, at my age, I'd probably get arrested just for logging in.

I'm not into "social" and I'm not into "networking," which pretty much sums it up. I mean, I used to belong to a "social network" back in the days when they were called chat rooms. That was about, if I remember right, just after the pyramids were built. But I've become less social and a whole lot less networky since then. I'd probably be a hermit if I could find a cave with DSL.

I tried joining some kind of old people's club called SeniorNet but it turned out the geezers were just as yappy and contentious as the kids. Who needs that? Although I will say, nobody will ever try to market a wireless SeniorNet gizmo, at least there's that.

So I could save up for one of these USB bracelets, which look pretty cool, huh? Or a potato blaster, of course.

No comments: