6.29.2006

OK help me out here, New Hampshirians.

But Nashua Police Sgt. Jeff Maher says the recording is a crime, even though the cameras are not hidden and officers were on the Gannons' property at the time.

Father arrested on charges of illegally videotaping police - Boston.com

Would this apply to 7-11s? Or, say, just for the sake of argument, banks?

Police in Nashua are accusing one Michael Gannon with taping a police officer acting discourteously without the officer's consent. They say it's illegal to record people without their consent even though the tape is made by a surveillance camera installed on private, posted property. Something about "evesdropping and wiretapping." I don't know. Sounds a little iffy to me. Especially coming from a state where they put "Live Free or Die" on their license plates.

(Although sometimes, judging from the news that occasionally filters down from New Hampshire, I think they should change their slogan to "Live Free or Hide Under Your Bed." But that's another rant for another  day.)

1 comment:

Christopher King said...

I got ahold of this case and spoke with Mr. Gannon -- who lives on the same street as my friend. I too, am a wrongly-accused felon, but my case has not been covered lately in the Telegraph since I've been whipping the NAACP and Jaffrey Chief Dunns arse.

I spoke with Mr. Gannon, who appreciates my blawg coverage, indeed, in part because we make video about bad police and other government officials, you bet.

Watch some of them at:

KingCast.net

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/2006/07/kingcast-presents-police-beat-down-in.html

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/2006/07/kingcast-presents-michael-gannons-post.html

Peace.