10.26.2010

How to turn a wind storm into a rock band

Massive Storm Batters Midwest: Strong Winds, Torrential Rain Hit Chicago

CHICAGO — Strong wind and torrential rain buffeted the Midwest Tuesday as forecasters predicted the giant storm could be the most powerful to hit Illinois in over seven decades....

"Everyone in Chicago is used to foul weather but with this type of wind I just hope nobody gets hurt by things falling from buildings, flying pumpkins, debris," said the 41-year-old assistant college dean at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Flying pumpkins. Smashing pumpkins. Get it? 

Sigh. OK, I give up.

I tried to do a crossword puzzle the other day and got totally blanked because I am so friggin' old and, like, totally clueless that I don't know any of the topical references: What Homer Simpson said. Huh? Smashing ......... Well, I got that one, eventually, but still. You see what I mean. Apparently you have to watch TV a lot, read the entertainment news, and know a few 18-year olds to stand a chance. 

Oh well. Speaking of TV, though, here's a find: Tin Man, available from iTunes, is a really, really good sci-fi take on the Wizard of Oz story in the form of a three-part TV miniseries. If you're looking for something to watch, this should be a strong contender.

No comments: