3.01.2010

I was wandering around Northampton today...

...wondering if the good old-fashioned American hamburger had vanished from the earth when I remembered the diner at the east end of Main Street - a place I hadn't been in, or even thought of for all that - since some time in a previous century and, oh yeah, they serve serious burgers and French fries that really taste like potatoes deep-fried in good, oily oil, and coffee that tastes like turpentine. What could possibly be better?

Also, because the place is more or less geezers-only, it's nice and quiet.

I was there, in Northampton, because I went out to the VA hospital just west of Northampton today to get my eyes checked. The last time I was there was, in fact, the last time I got my eyes checked two years ago - usually, for regular stuff, I go to the clinic here in town. Both places - the clinic and the big hospital that serves the whole western part of the state - people are pleasant, efficient, organized, and endlessly helpful and every time I go either place I come away feeling good.

So hey, America, as far as I'm concerned you can screw up your health care any way you want to, just keep your hands off my government-run VA. It's fine the way it is.


No comments: