3.25.2009

True enough


As most of us have done nothing wrong, guilt is not a motivation to surrender our earnings. We have worked 12 long months under these [A.I.G bonus] contracts and now deserve to be paid as promised. None of us should be cheated of our payments any more than a plumber should be cheated after he has fixed the pipes but a careless electrician causes a fire that burns down the house.

[From Op-Ed Contributor - Dear A.I.G., I Quit! - NYTimes.com]

But neither have the hundreds of thousands who've lost jobs, savings, healthcare, and houses done anything wrong, and many of them worked 12 or more long years. If you don't believe me, come to work with me today and I'll introduce you to a dozen of them. And 20 more tomorrow. (And by the way, Mr. DeSantis, I'll check to see if one of them wants your job.)


(In his resignation email to A.I.G. CEO Edward Liddy, Jake DeSantis, an Executive Vice President of the company's Financial Products unit, also somewhat curiously notes: "You and I have never met or spoken to each other...")



No comments: