2.05.2009

Near-perfect fool near-perfect foil

Or so reports Steve Benen at Washington Monthly.



Since [Cheney] and Bush left office, and Barack Obama started governing, al Qaeda seems to be in a bit of a panic. A former CIA counterterrorism official recently said, "For al-Qaeda, as a matter of image and tone, George W. Bush had been a near-perfect foil." Rita Katz, head of a private company that monitors jihadist communications, said the terrorists' hysterical rants against the new president show "just how much al-Qaeda is intimidated by Obama."

[From The Washington Monthly]

No surprise there. I'm an old war gamer (OK, now I'm just old but I was a war gamer for 20 or 30 years) and way early in this "war on terror" thing I asked myself, if this were a war game and I were playing the other side, what would I be thinking? What I'd be thinking was, how could I be so freaking lucky? Stage one attack, involving only a couple of dozen people and four airplanes I didn't even have to buy and the entire "world power" country obligingly self-destructs.


And everything's been coming up roses ever since. Treaties and alliances get trashed; a massive army gets itself tied up on two fronts, bleeding troops, equipment, and hundreds of billions per year; they re-elect the village idiot as their leader and, never mind what damage the fools do to their own so-called rights and ideals, in time their whole economy tanks. All for a couple dozen guys and four borrowed airplanes.


But now this Obama guy, what's with him? Oh oh. What if he's not that dumb?



No comments: