1.03.2008

Amazing! A YAME product review!

When it comes to new stuff I'm not a slipcover kind of guy. I don't know what buying a new car is like these days but in days of yore it would always bring in the mail, soon, a catalog from some company that sold all sorts of seat covers guaranteed to keep your car seats looking new. Apparently, such products were much in demand. And some people bought slipcovers for new furniture, too. OK, whatever. I understand about resale value and all that. But I'm not buying stuff to sell, I'm buying stuff to use and I figure, who wants to sit on slipcovers - the time for slipcovers is after the nice new seats are all worn out. Why not enjoy the new seats myself?

So, then, it's a little weird I just bought a slipcover for my iPhone, possibly one of the sexiest, most beautiful objects on the planet. The thing is, handsome though it is, the phone is slippery. And it can be difficult to hold, partly because there's not much of it to grab on to but mostly, I'm guessing, because its slipperiness makes me unconsciously hang on more tightly than I really need to. So I bought an iSkin and it's fine.

The iSkin comes with a lot of extra gizmos and gadgets that will quickly get either lost or tossed. The basic case part is the thing. It fits like it should and adds just enough but just a little bulk and a nice, sticky, secure feel. Plus, it adds a little cushioning against the trauma of setting the darn thing down on a hard desk. And it looks cool (the one I got is all black), even though it's covering up something cooler still.

Cases and covers for iPods and the iPhone are a mixed bag because holster-type cases, the kind you wear on your belt, are a tight fit and the skin-type cover makes the device too big to fit. There are some products that attempt to cover both bases by adding a belt clip to the back of a skin but they all fail, IMO - you have to unclip the whole thing from your belt in order to use it, and then you wind up with the clip in the palm of your hand. The skin-style case is for carrying in a pocket or a bag and has to be removed if you want to wear it on your belt. I have a holster case too and I like it, but I will probably use the iSkin more. And with a skin you can't use a dock any more - it won't fit. You have to use the docking cable directly.

But all in all, in this case, the case works. Unless I change my mind, I like it.

No comments: