6.11.2007

The obligatory stare

So I'm sitting outside one of those Interstate restaurant stop places this morning slurping a cup of hot coffee and trying to get a little sun under my hat when an SUV in the parking lot erupts in terrible screeching and the kids (that would be people under 30), five or six of them, inside it pile out, open the hood, and stare. This is something that must be done.

I do it myself when weird sounds come from the engine, not that I have any idea - or even expect to have any idea, by this time - what I'm looking at. I stare. I just do because I do. Don't you?

Neither did these kids, apparently - have any idea, I mean - because by the time I'd finished my coffee the staring had ended and the cell phones were out. Hopefully, one of them called someone who could help.

No comments: