6.15.2007

Light

I have 14 lights - red, green, blue and amber - that glow, blink, and flicker in my computer room: at night it looks like a far-away Times Square. And then at 4:00 my screensaver comes on as my computer wakes up to do back-up chores. An hour later, I do. Wake up, I mean. This time of year, when the sun starts coming up at 5:00.

I think my mother told me, when I was a very, very little kid, that I had to stay in bed and keep quiet until the sun came up, and I must have taken her seriously because that's exactly what I do. Still. But once that sun comes up I'm up too. I find it nearly impossible to sleep past first light in the morning. Which is why I think we need two hours of daylight savings time in June and July. There's another whole day's worth of light we're losing here.

Of course what we really need is some dark saving time. You know, save an hour of dark out of every night and use it right after lunch for a nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think napping should be mandatory. The dark saving idea could just make that possible!